Tuesday, February 15, 2011

unit 9 project


Unit 9 Project
HW420
Cristina Holcomb
Introduction:
It is critically important that health and wellness professionals are developed psychologically, spiritually and physically because If they aren’t they won’t be able to properly help their patients. The patients aren’t going to listen to someone who hasn’t practiced or practice what they preach. They want to know that the person they are going to is legit and knows and believes that the exercises or whatever they are doing are going to work and there is proof by the professional. The areas I need to work on personally are my physical health. I feel that I am great spiritually and pretty good psychologically. I feel that I can work on my physical health through bettering my nutrition and my exercise routine. By bettering my condition I can therefore be able to feel better about myself inside and boost myself psychologically.
Assessment:
I have assessed my health in each domain on how I feel and by exercising the practices given in the course. By exploring the loving-kindness and different meditation practices I was able to ease my mind and focus on myself. I have to score my spirituality as 9 out of 10. I pray all of the time and am very spiritual. Whereas physically, I have to say I am a 5. I am really out of shape and I could do so much more for myself. Life is not an excuse and by taking better care of myself I will grow better psychologically as well. I am about a 7 psychologically and I know it can increase and it already has some already with doing the exercises.

Goal development:
Goals have always been a hard subject for me. I always try to make a goal but some just I never seem to follow through on. Short term goals I can do but long term tend to boggle my mind. But as far as goals for physical psychological and spiritual health I have a plan. For my physical goal I am setting a goal to exercise in some way at least 3 days a week. This will help me to become more active and make me work my body and help get rid of some of this excess weight. For my goal for psychological wellness I plan to meditate at least once a day if not that then at least 5 days a week. This really helps my mind and I know by clearing my mind I am able to think clearly and be less stressed out. And as far as my spiritual health I do pray every day but I think I will start to read the bible at least once a week to start. I believe this will help me to become more spiritual and get closer in my faith.


Practices for Personal health:
Physical practices tend to be those of exercising or working the body in some way. Two examples or exercises I can do in this domain would be to go walking for at least 20-30 minutes. This is a great way to get the heart pumping. Another great exercise I can do is play my Nintendo wii. I have many great active games such as dancing with the starts, dance dance revolution, tennis and other games. This is a great way to have fun and also get this weight off. As far as spiritual practices I can think of two great ones. One is praying which I do but I think for me I need to pray even deeper and get even closer. Then also I think going to group study for church will also help and I just signed up for one with a friend and a few family members. It is a great way to get more spiritual especially since I will have the influence of others to help guide me. Lastly I have psychological. I have said meditation and this is a great exercise to practice for personal health. Also I think would be great would be yoga. It can go into physical and psychological actually and a really great exercise to ease the mind and the soul.

Commitment:
I will assess my progress by looking at what I have done or will be doing. If I am not living up to my goals or expectations then I will need to step it up. I think for strategies I can make a goal list or a pattern and just remind myself. Also, I will have my husband be my partner. I know with his motivation I can do this. When you have a partner everything runs so much smoother. I know I can do this and I believe in me.


1 comment:

  1. I agree with your statement that you have to practice what you preach. In doing so others are more willing to take your word for it because you live what you teach. Yes goals and committment are often difficult but the outcome of reaching those goals is something awesome. I believe that you will do great. Rewards are great. Think about the payoff, that's my motivation.

    ReplyDelete